Security leaders have a bold vision. Leaders have a grand strategy. Leaders excite and engage people to get things done. Along the way, leaders make decisions.
This blog series is about making better decisions. IT security is a new discipline. But creativity and ingenuity are as old as humanity. Week by week, we’ll look to artisans, to architects, and to designers. We’ll uncover principles we can apply to lead and to design security capabilities.
Security design principles:
- Set the vision
- Protect the organization
- Define the security capability
- Develop the technology architecture
- Determine the security controls
- Plan the implementation and transition
- Take it one metaphor at a time
- Hand out Ray-Bans not safety goggles
- Plan to wear in, not wear out
- Plan to get lucky
- Execute a series of playful pilots to refine the plan